Springtime Asparagus Herb Quiche
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total: 1 hr 15 mins
- 7 eggs
- 1/2 C. Oatmilk (heavy cream if not DF)
- 10-12 Asparagus stalks
- 1/2 C. Caramelized onions*
- 2 oz Goat cheese
- 1 tsp Herbs de Provence
- 1.5 C All Purpose flour
- 10 Tbsp COLD unsalted vegan Butter (regular unsalted butter if vegan)
- 1 tsp salt
- 3.5 Tbsp ice water
- 1 egg
- In a large bowl add flour, and salt. Grate COLD butter into flour, or cut into small cubes and use a pastry cutter to cut butter into pea sized balls in flour. Or use a food processor and blend until butter and flour have formed a rough dough.
- Mix one egg with ice water in a small bowl and set aside.
- Add egg mixture to flour/butter blend and mix together until the dough starts to form a ball. Feel free to dump mixture on to a flat surface and knead with your hands until the dough starts to form a ball. *Be sure not to over knead! Just enough so that it forms a ball. Over mixing can melt the butter and activate the flour.
- Cover the dough ball with plastic wrap or place it in a bowl with a towel, and place in the fridge for 1 hour. Or freezer for 30 minutes. (This can also be prepped the night before and kept in the fridge overnight)
- Thinly slice one medium yellow onion.
- Heat a medium sized skillet over medium heat. Add 2 Tbsp of Olive Oil and 1 Tbsp of butter of ghee.
- Add sliced onion to pan and mix throughout olive oil/butter. Turn heat down to medium heat and allow onions to cook slowly, stirring onions in the pan every few minutes for 30-40 minutes.
- Onions should be a dark caramelized brown and very soft. Remove from heat and set aside.
- PREHEAT oven 365℉
- On a flat surface, roll out dough to about ½ cm thin.
- Place into 9” round pie pan or tart pan. Trim excess crust, smooth out and crimp the edges.
- Place parchment paper over the crust and add pie weights, or ½ C of dried beans or rice. Par-bake the crust in a heated oven for 10 minutes. Remove the crust from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- In a bowl mix 7 eggs, oatmilk, 1 tsp salt, and a dash of cracked pepper.
- Place chopped asparagus, caramelized onion (see below), knobs of goat cheese, and herbs de Provence in the pie pan.
- Pour egg mixture over filing.
- Sprinkle a pinch of salt, cracked pepper, and herbs de Provence over the quiche.
- Bake quiche in the preheated oven for 25-27 minutes until the middle is set and the crust is slightly golden.
- Remove quiche from the oven, and allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!!
We hope you enjoy our Springtime Asparagus Herb Quiche recipe. Don’t forget to follow Kelsey on Instagram and start tagging us in your recipes!